Recently we celebrated Left-Handers Day. There were a number of articles written about those who write with their left hand. Some articles talked about the psychological differences between lefties and righties. Other articles discussed the statistics of lefties vs. righties. BUT what about the functional aspects of handwriting for lefties? This is really a world made for righties! Just look at notebooks and binders. The rings of a binder and the spiral of a notebook are all on the left side of the book. The left handed writer must learn to navigate around and through these obstacles. Do you see how this young woman is attempting to write in a binder awkwardly navigating her hand through the rings of the binder?
There are a few ways to solve this problem without having to torture your students:
- Flip the binder around so that the rings are on the right side (upside down to a righty). You will be writing on the backside of the righty page (front side for a lefty).
- OR Take a page or two out of the binder to write on then replace them when you are done. Some times it helps the quality of the handwriting by having a page or two under the one that you are writing on.
- OR Use a loose-leaf pad for notes and (easier to carry than a binder) then place the notes in the binder at the end of the day.
If you must use a notebook, you can use the following tips:
- Start at the back of the notebook instead of the front. Particularly if you use one of those wire spiral bound notebooks.
- Use a notebook that has the spiral at the top instead of down the side.
Stay organized. Keep your binder neat and tidy so that you can use it as a slant board. A slant board will help extend that wrist a bit. By extending that wrist, you can prevent smudges and fatigue from that lefty flexed wrist.
Lastly, if you are a lefty, elevate the corner of that paper. This may also help you extend that wrist a bit.
Happy Belated Left-Hander’s Day!
- Happy Left-Handers Day! Facts and Trivia About Being A Lefty – International Business Times (ibtimes.com)
- Facts about left-handers (readingeagle.com)
- Celebrate Left-Handers Day with these photos of famous southpaws (rollingout.com)
- International Left-Handers Day: What Are The Benefits Of Being Left-Handed? (medicaldaily.com)
- Are Lefties More Likely to Become Champions and Leaders? (psychologytoday.com)